Friday, September 08, 2006

No new painting today, as I am 1) having crazy no-reason back pain, and 2) keep falling asleep. But in its steed, I present the bench I painted for the village of Oak Park, IL, last summer. The theme assigned was, I believe, "Seasons", so I created a bench called "In the Future, Robots Will Do Our Yardwork."
I think it turned out rather well. Plus it came with a decent little stipend. I'm hoping I can find some similar opportunities out here. If anyone knows of some good public painting opportunites for Southern California, please let me know.

6 comments:

Chris said...

wicked bench!

Jessie Mae said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

"If anyone knows of some good public painting opportunites for Southern California, please let me know."

i know in pasadena every beginning of the summer they do a sidewalk-chalk painting festival. i haven't found the website, but i was thinking of entering next year, it's a whole plaza of sidewalk panels, some really good ones done as well. not exactly painting, but i did see some that were probably done in tempura or something, definitely using a brush. you should look it up.

also, very nice bench!

Jessie Mae said...

Ooo! Thanks! I have to remember that. I really enjoy public art things. I always sort of bitch about it during the application process, but in the end it's always very fulfilling

Anon said...

Your art is great. Love the bench, love the paintings.

Jessie Mae said...

Thank you! I miss my bench. I think I'll have to go visit it the next time I'm back in Chicago.