Tuesday, April 15, 2008


I'm part way through painting a batch of faces (and one head) and I am flagging. And even when I finish these, I still have six unpainted faces, and one unpainted head to go. I love sculpting the faces, and I love painting, but painting faces is very tedious. That said, it so neat to see the character come out with the painting. I try not to worry about being too tidy with them, as I think it lends the faces personality if they're a little messy. It's also a reaction, I think, against my brief stint making puppets for stop-motion animation. In stop-motion, the heads generally have to be very neat painted. And that's all well and good, and something that I entirely understand from a technical standpoint, but I am at heart a messy and imperfect person, and I want my art to reflect that. Anyhow, it's something I think about every time I paint faces for toys.

It's been a mad house around here, getting back from our trips out of town, only to be thrown right into getting Charlie ready to go to Australia. And at the same time, I'm looking into getting some outside work. It's something I have to admit I have mixed feelings about. It isn't that I'm in any way lazy, it's that I've had some less than stellar work experiences in the past, and I'm a little gun-shy at this point. But I did have an interview today, and I think it went pretty well. I'm not sure if I'll get the job, but I'm no longer feeling so freaked out about going back into doing some customer service if necessary. I need to remind myself that ever job is different, and that this is actually something I'm very good at.

The other part of my resistance to this is that my work in art is finally coming together, and I'm loathe to be away from it. But at the same time, it would take only a little bit of extra money to make our household comfortable, so that wouldn't translate into all that many hours off of the art.

And I'm babbling. It's nice to have this space to work out my feelings in.

No comments: