Monday, November 02, 2009

New faces. BIG faces. And the creative process.


These four big faces are currently baking up in my oven (the smaller, painted face is one of my normal size ones, shown along with some of my worktable clutter to give an idea of scale). On my way to the dentist today I stopped in the copy shop and made a few different enlargements of one of my favorite of my toy patterns. I've been enjoying putting clothing on some of the toys lately, and I'm hoping that by making some larger versions I'll be able to make that clothing more detailed. So it's an experiment.

It puts me in mind of how for the past year or so, the creative process is so much more interesting to me than the finished work. This applies both to my own work and to my viewing of others' works. It's not that I've lost interest in the finished product, but man has my fascination with the process grown. I'm all about looking at sketch books and notes. I like watching things grow and change and develop. There is something satisfying about watching the actual labor involved in artistic creation, and then looking at the finish product and seeing the marks of that labor.

And now I think I need to go watch My Dinner with Andre. Again.

No comments: