Friday, January 09, 2009

I drove to work today, which is unusual for me. Usually I take the bus and then the train to work, and the train and then a long walk on the way home. I use public transportation for the usual sorts of reasons- environment, cost, parking difficulties, not really wanting to deal with driving. There is parking available to me at work, but it's a little tight, and my car is boat like and somewhat difficult to maneuver. So I take public transportation, and I feel a little smug, and I get a little exercise in on the way home.

But today I had a lesson to teach at noon, and I missed the 11:15 bus. I probably could have caught the 11:30, but they aren't terribly consistent, and it would be cutting it close. So I decided to go for it, and got in my car, and drove. I found a three hour street spot (huzzah!) and got in in time to get a cup of coffee before I started.

And man, I can entirely understand why people drive places. Instead of taking minimum thirty minutes to get to work, it took maybe seven. And when I got there, I wasn't jostled or jangled. And likewise, I was able to get home quickly, and wasn't exhausted when I got in. My feet weren't sore, and my shoulders weren't aching from carrying my work backs long distances. It was really nice.

I don't think I'll make a regular habit of driving to work. For one thing, I really do believe in public transportation, both in the environmental sense, and also in the sense that it keeps you from getting isolated in your own little bubble. Also, at high traffic times driving is very stressful. But I did learn something today. Driving, for this short distance, is easier on me in a lot of ways. And in the future, on days when I have a ton to carry or am just feeling really run down, I'm just going to suck it up and drive. And it will be okay!

No comments: